Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Journal Entry #1


1. Describe the situation that made you feel a need to respond in writing.
2. Why did you decide to respond in writing instead of taking some other action or not responding at all?
3. What type or genre of writing did you use to communicate your purpose, and why did you choose this genre?
4. Who was your audience and what kind of relationship did you want to establish with your readers?
5. What was your purpose in writing? Did you feel you accomplished this purpose?
6. What knowledge of the context and culture did you draw on to guide your writing?
7. How is thinking about your writing as responding to a “rhetorical situation” different from other ways to think about the writing you do?

1. The situation was for my church youth group retreat where I was talking about how I doubt myself and compare myself to other people and the importance of acceptance with yourself.
2. I decided to write it because I am not very confident talking in front of huge crowd of people but I ended up reading my writing to a large group of youths.
3. The genre of the writing was autobiographical story and I chose this genre because it best fitted the topic and could relate to the audience.
4. My audience was my youth group and I wanted the youths to understand that I was able to believe in myself through my religion and that they are not alone.
5. My purpose in writing this was to finally take this off of my chest and help other youths by also helping myself. I feel like I accomplished this matter because I don't feel the same way about myself and I was able to help youth and even some adults.
6. I used the Bible and my own experience as a guide to my writing.
7. My writing is a response to the "rhetorical situation" because I informed other youths about a problem that I was going through and that they could relate to. This is different from my other writing because I am usually refering to quotes by authors and novels.

No comments: